Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dinner at Grosvenor House

So everybody knows that one of the responsibilities of a trophy wife (I meant it in a good way) is of course accompanying dear husband to office dinners and social events. To be honest, this is not really my most favourite thing to do coz, believe it or not, I am actually one of those people who are uncomfortable and awkward at making small, superficial talks (SRB, on the other hand, is great at it. That's why we complement each other muahahaha sedikit jiwang di situ =p).

But since we're now living far far away from our friends and family, I think it's important to make the effort to build new friendships, especially with SRB's colleagues, since it's such a small group anyway so it'd be good if we can form a close-knit community over here chewaahhh. God, I never thought I'd actually say that hahaha! It soo didn't sound like me (if you really know me lah), more like a line from 'Desperate Housewives' or something. But then again, it's a whole new country, so I guess it's a whole new me hehe.

So last night was the first time I met with everyone in SRB's Subsurface team and their spouses. Someone from Houston came down here for a visit, and apparently for a surprise award-giving ceremony (SRB's technical advisor got an achievement award for his outstanding contributions to ExxonMobil's Subsurface Engineering), so they organized a group dinner at a hotel called Grosvenor House. It's a kinda fancy schmancy hotel and I silently cursed the shipping company coz darn it, all my fancy schmancy clothes and shoes are still in the yet-to-arrive boxes! Felt a little underdressed wearing jeans and all but oh well, what to do.


As you can see, the rest of them are a bit on the 'veteran' side hehe and we're the only young couple there. Maybe that's why one of them said that we looked like newly-weds last night hahah! But being mat salleh, all of them were very sweet and friendly, stressing how lucky we were to get this opportunity at such a young age. Being among them memanglaaa made me feel so much younger kehkehkeh!


So, first social test - passed. There were suggestions of having some pot-luck parties and barbecues last night, so I guess I'll be bringing some pasta or mashed potato or sate (berangan rajin nak buat ni) to the party then.

Hmmm...now I'm starting to feel like my life is a movie.

2 comments:

awesome blossom said...

you should start wearing real pearls.. (aku tgk dlm movie or 'real housewives' series, trophy wife semua pakai pearl, hehehe)

SRS said...

Ohhh tidaaakkk!