Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter


While I was in Singapore around 2 weeks ago, I bought this book as soon as I could find the nearest Borders, just in case I have too much free time waiting for the train, cab, plane, etc. I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time already, so why not start during a vacation kan?

I was attracted to the basic storyline, at first. It's about a couple who got twins, one girl & one boy. The husband, a doctor, who helped deliver the babies realized that his baby girl has Down Syndrome. So he told his wife that the baby girl died and asked his nurse to send the baby to a "special" institution. But the nurse didn't have the heart to leave the baby there, so she went away and raised the baby as her own instead. So the lives of these people were forever changed, yada yada yada lah.

So I finished reading it 2 days ago and I DO NOT recommend you to read this book unless you're into Shakespeare kinda shit (which I am not). Too many descriptions of how the sky's so blue, the snow so soft & white (like there's any other color for snow hello?), the leaves are falling, the flowers blooming, the sun shines brightly and all those konon2 romantic crap, it's sooo annoying! I mean, sikit2 bolehlaa tahan lagi. But if all actions nak kena kaitkan with all the earthly elements - the wind, the flowers, the ocean, the rainbow - mannn...it can be dreading. And that is what you'll get when you read this book.

Sorry Kim Edwards, your writing is just not my cup of tea. And Jodi Picoult, you still rock!


3 comments:

Lin Ghazale said...

Ini buku yg aku carikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!! aku tau storyline, tapi tak igt tajuk buku...time kasih time kasih

iL4na said...

since aku malas bace, in d end apa jadik ngan babies tu? were they reunited or not?

SRS said...

Okay Lyn, jgn baca ape aku tulis ni if kau nak nak beli buku tu hehe.

The babies were reunited when they were around 20++. But the doctor husband tu and the wife got divorced. And he died of heart attack, without telling her the secret. The nurse yg jumpa the ex-wife and told the truth.