Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

How Dubai Stole The New Job's Thunder

*Warning: Whiny and jiwang thoughts ahead.*

I think it all started about a year ago when SRB started to receive gradual hints from his boss about possibly getting an overseas work assignment. Unexpectedly, the boss would casually dropped questions like, "Have you ever discussed with your wife about you going for an overseas assignment? Would she be okay to leave her current job?". Then a couple of months back, things got more serious when the boss started to come to his office, close the door (this usually means - it's time to have a little friendly/unfriendly, depending on what kind of shit you're in, one-to-one talk buddy!) and share things like, "I have discussed with the management and there seem to be opportunities out there for you" or "I can't disclose the full details yet but the progress looks very encouraging and promising."

But it always stopped there, no specific info being offered which pissed us off a bit coz it just felt like at the end of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire', when the contestant has already picked the final answer for the million dollar question and the host would pause, smiled smugly to the camera and said "Jawapannya ialah...kita tunggu selepas ini!" and then the commercial came on. It's like, farking hell laa kan?

Now, I should also mentioned that this 'I-can't-tell-you-everything-but-I-can-only-tell-you-this-much' tarik tali game that SRB's boss was playing with him happened around the same time when I was having a shitty time at my previous workplace and when I was miserably waiting for response on any new job opportunities. So we both had our own dilema kehidupan going on at the same time, so many what-ifs lingering in our heads and huwarrgghh it was no fun at all, people. It's like we're both running out of breath, trying to compete who has the greater, much more significant misery and insecurity. Memang boleh dikatakan the whole house dilanda PMS lah hehe.

Then, some of my questions were answered when I got the new job offer Alhamdulillah, so my positive outlook on life was restored and I became a happy person again yeayyy! Tapi Tuhan masih mahu menguji kami nampaknya when exactly one day (as in 24 hours later) after I handed in the new job's acceptance letter, dear husband was called in for a meeting with his boss and big boss uh-ohh! At that time, we're pretty sure this was when we're finally gonna know the verdict OMG! He was freaking out at his office, I was freaking out at my office, even some of my workmates joined our awesome 'freaking out' party hehe.

A few hours later, with just a simple SMS, "So dear, you wanna know?" (Hell yeahhh, I wanna know! I'd go into a bloody cardiac arrest if I had to wait any longer!), our world was forever changed chewahhh! My heart leapt with joy when I heard the words 'base in Dubai' but it sank to deep darkness when the words 'occasional trips to wells in Iraq' were mentioned. Seriously, one bomb after another, memang sakit jantung beb! Today, I accepted a new job, the next day, I found out that I have to move to another country and let my other half work in Iraq. Apekahhh?

The next couple of weeks were of course such an emotional turmoil for us. I remember us sitting on the bed, one minute we're talking calmly, the next minute we're crying, then we're laughing at the absurdity of the situation (Dubai? Iraq? PwC? Wtf?) and then we just sat there in silence, lost in our thoughts and worry. I mean, the timing of everything was just ridiculous!!! I was really looking forward to work in a Big 4 company and felt that I just couldn't leave everything and move. I felt that I have so much in me to contribute to, if not the world, then at least some kind of corporate organizations. I was terrified of feeling stupid, useless and lost if I'm gonna have to just stay at home and be a housewife (no offense to all housewives out there ye, this is just me). Not to mention, sitting at home while the husband goes for work trips to Iraq - ni dah macam citer Army Wives ni hahah!

Maybe it would be different if we already have kids but the fact is, we don't yet. And no matter how many times you people ask us; "When? Why not now? What are you waiting for?", I'm sorry but the answer will still be the same - only God knows what's best, we can't decide on the timeline. And I'm sure you all know that so why don't you get over it and move on okay? It's not like we can order a baby and have it couriered to us asap via FedEx or something (hahaha I've always wanted to say this!). Sorry dear, I know you taught me not to be rude and be more sensitive to other people's feelings when I'm writing but this time, I just HAVE to say it =p

Of course, at the end of the day, we have to count our blessings and remind ourselves that these are both rezeki and dugaan dari Allah so we just have to work things out dengan rasa redha and syukur. I realize that I'm gonna have to make the sacrifice this time eventhough I really like what I'm doing in this new job and how often can you find a job that you actually like, right? But yeah, I'm willing to give it all up out of my sheer love and utter respect for the husband =). No matter how much I hate to leave this job, I think I'll hate myself more if I'm not there for him, to hold his hands and offer him comforting hugs whenever he's having a hard time at work - you know, that 'Behind every successful man, there is a woman' kinda thing hahaks!

So the plan is, I work here for a few months so I can have a 'beautiful' resume hehe, he takes his one-way flight to Dubai some time end of August and I'll join him latest by October (or probably earlier depending on how long I can stand being away from him hihi) Insya Allah and then straightaway start preparing the guest room for the girls to come visit =D. What exactly I'm gonna do over there, tungguuuuuu for the update hehe.

In the meantime, we'll just cherish each other's company, plan our move together and prepare ourselves physically and mentally for the big change ahead. Iskk I foresee some crying-to-sleep moments during the temporary separation (you think that I'm stronggg, you're wronggg - Robbie Williams) so help me dear friends, help me dear God, during these trying times Aaamiiinnn...

8 comments:

awesome blossom said...

i want to cry, i want to cry... arrghhh. this is becoming so real :(

SRS said...

Tulaaaa...me osso want to cryyyy isk isk isk

Aida said...

nak nangis sama la... sob2...

ladies, too many changes in too little time... time flies and i kinda hate it!

Anonymous said...

babe i like how u put things into perspective.very positive!!!

i know u'll get tru this. btw ss19 is not that far from usj..if u need someone to tmn u for coffee or even tgk dvd at home just holler!

baity

SRS said...

Aida, Fatma, adakah kita dah weng sampai dok nangis together in the virtual world hahaha!

Beddy, thanks babe! It took me some time to be in this positive stage hehe...

Assie said...

Aku rase mcm baru je bace blog ko masuk keje baru, then suddenly dah nak pindah DUBAI? Whoaaaa!

God seriously has His own way making plans for the rest of us.

After this ko buleh sambung hantar gambar Salam Aidilfitri Dari Perantauan mcm kat Troy dulu. Hehehe

SRS said...

Hehe hence the entry title - Dubai stole the new job's thunder hihi!

But seriously, now aku tgh pening with all these changes huuu...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.